Sunday, May 10, 2009

My First Night in Scotland

I am typing this from the lobby/reception area of High Street Hostel. it is actually on Blackfrair's street, which is off of High Street but oh well. anyway this is my first night in Scotland, so I have to make an entry of this on this blog. besides, this way my whole journey to Scotland is talked about. you have the whole picture. the train ride here was gorgeous! Scotland is so beautiful it is not even funny. it is more hilly (with a rock-ish feel)than England.Edinburgh is on the east coast of Scotland so the train passed by the ocean(the north sea, I just googled it). beautiful! you would see these gorgoeous views of lochs, the ocean,etc. right next to green countryside.... you would not believe how gorgoeous it is. pictures wont do it justice.
anyway, the train arrived around 6:50pm, slightly delayed) and I got my heavy and large suitcases and got off the train. to get out of the station, I had to go up this crazy steep hill/bridge. it would have been tough without the two heavy suitcases, but with them...oh wow. it made it so tiring. I might be sore tommorow...between the heavy suitcases and my backpack and that hill...but it was so so worth it! anyway, I got a taxi to my hostel, checked in(room 5b, all the beds have names that match the locker you have, and i am on a top bunk-8 beds total). so I put all my stuff out of my backpack and put it in there. I am going to carry my laptop and its cords, my password with my SSN card inside, camera(duh!) and wallet(duh!) with me all the time in my backpack. I feel safer doing that and I think it is safer. even in the hostel I am keeping that backpack on me. after that I set out to get something to eat and explore a little. I stuck to High Street, and on that street alone I found so many of the things I have on my list to do while I am here. both the storytelling centre and Wee World Cafe(where its held-its not an actual cafe)are less than 2 minutes walk from my hostel! and there are so many kilm shops! granted most are expensive- about 150-200 pounds, and a discount in one store that made them 60 pounds!) but I did see one less expensive, 30 pounds or so. I want a kilm. I think that would be a nice souvenier of my time in Scotland. i know I promised myself no buying anything else that would take up room, only keychains of special places and postcards, but a kilm would not take up a lot of weight in my luggage. the heavy one is 49 pounds when I weighted them last, and I was wearing my tennies shoes so that made it heavier so I can spare some weight for a kilm. maybe even the socks if they have them. we'll see. it might look weird without the shoes, but it would still look cool. I did see some nice scarves and things to wrap around them,etc. i know, carried away. i will leave it at...i will see. if i get a kilm i will get the socks at least. i will see. i had dinner at pizza hut, then came back to the hostel. the wi-fi was being stubborn for 1-2 hours, and after I payed to use the internet on the computer here(80 pence per half hour)it started working! go figure huh? so that is my first night in Scotland! within my first hour i locked myself out of my room, ran into an ACU student,and found so much cool stuff on high street(also known as the royal mile since it connects Edinburgh Castle with Holywood castle(queen's residence). it is a scottish mile, so it is definetly longer than one mile. in my opinion anyway. so that is it for my first day here.btw, high street is a high street! it is also on a steep hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment